Money transfer help!

Myanmar/Burma general discussion and topics not covered in other areas.
jbg_

Money transfer help!

Post by jbg_ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 pm

My partner and I are originally from New Zealand, now living in Europe and are currently travelling in Myanmar. After reading online that there are now ATMs here, we brought some cash, not a huge amount, and our cards. This turned out to be a mistake, as none of our cards work here. We’ve got a Euro Mastercard, a New Zealand VISA Debit and another New Zealand debit card and none of these work in any of the ATMs we’ve tried. I’ve lost track of which banks but we’ve tried over 20 ATMs (every ATM we come across), we always get an error like “Invalid transaction” or “System malfunction”. This happens regardless of how much money we try to get out or which account we choose. We’ve been in touch with our banks and they say the transaction is not being blocked at their end.

Our cash is now nearly depleted, so I tried to use Western Union to send money to myself, using my Mastercard, but they require all transfers to Myanmar to be initiated in person.

Can anybody suggest a good way to get money from a perfectly good VISA or Mastercard into Myanmar when the ATMs won’t accept the card?

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Money transfer help!

Post by Admin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 am

You may want to try one of the 5* hotels, they can charge the card for a "bill" and give you the cash.

saara

Re: Money transfer help!

Post by saara » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Can i know where is the famous internet cafe in Yangon?